The APM Report below sheds some very interesting light on how people’s opinions are starting to change about reading instruction. America Public Media (APM) Reports strive to raise awareness, trigger debate and prompt positive change via non-partisan, independent investigation and documentary journalism.
With the arrival of a new year and a new decade, I want to build on and respond to many of the points made about Dyslexia in this report and how this relates to the Empowering Learning approach. This is an offer to you to take a different perspective on Dyslexia, challenging the ideas of the old decades and setting our children free to learn in the way that best suits their skills. Entitled Changing Dyslexia for a new decade, I have scheduled 9 free teleclasses, with various colleagues, at 8pm every Wednesday evening, for each specific topic, starting with:
- Jan 8th: It is not phonics or word recognition, it is both, plus Julia Barker and June Baker
- Jan 15th: Grounding and good breathing to reduce anxiety and create a learning state, plus Cheryl Winter.
- Jan 22nd: Developing visual skills for learning anything, plus Cheryl Winter
- Jan 29th: How best to support neurodivergent students in school
- Feb 5th: Reading comprehension and different firstname.lastname@example.org
- Feb 12th: Inefficient ways to teach word recognition
- Feb 19th: Hearing problems, guessing words
- Feb 26th: Spelling can’t be left out
- March 4th: The close links between dyslexia and mental health plus Emma Hossack
- March 12th: Open house.
To join these free teleseminars, just click below. There will be question time in each module and you will benefit from listening to them in their chronological order. Recordings will be available at a small cost. https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/5784478301114656258
If you want to get a preview of some of this material, take a look at The Elephants in the Classroom: uncovering every student’s natural power of mental imagery to enhance learning. To find out more, order your own copy here, or more than 10 copies here or on Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.com.
#empoweringlearning #APMReports #spelling #reading #dyslexiaforanewdecade #dyslexia #phonics #wordrecognition