I have just finished this book and it seems a must for anyone who wants to understand more about autism. It is a truly extraordinary read and I will be recommending it to many of my clients who have Autism in their families. She clearly describes her own experiences and backs them up with some of the scientific knowledge that is around.
As a learning coach the themes I have picked out to reinforce my practice are:
1. Getting the whole family engaged, at the earliest opportunity
2. Nurturing and Developing the great strengths of an autistic person
3. The exceptional talents of visual thinkers – when we are very young I believe we are all visual thinkers, some people lose it, some people keep it and others get overwhelmed by it.
4. Most very talented people are visual thinkers and make a huge contribution to the world in everyday jobs like engineering, computer programming, graphics, business, chefs, etc, etc
5. The huge connection with fear, safety and living in a permanent state of hyperarousal, triggering fight, freeze or flight.
And so much more. I should love to meet this inspirational woman.
The book is full of updates from 2006 and I believe we have a postscript to add into many of the sections. We are working on the energy that maybe the cause of many of the negative symptoms; teaching people more about their own experience and their energy system with simple tools to start clearing this energy and improve grounding (aka earthing), in themselves and their whole family.
To start learning more about connection between energy, grounding and Autism take a look at http://www.bridgestosuccess.co.uk
Do follow this blog for more updates or go to http://www.empoweringlearning.co.uk